THE SWORD'S PATH

As I walk in a world created by my God, but tainted by my sin, I find it behooves me to share some of my struggle, my success, my failure. But most of all, I find a world which desperately needs guidance. In a world overgrown by vines of sin, we must equip ourselves with swords to find and keep THE path. Our sword is of the spirit, the Holy Words of God.

Rom 13:8 MKJV (8) Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves another has fulfilled the Law.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Bryan, Texas, United States

Sometimes adrift, sometimes solid in foundation and steady with a course. I'm prone to shift interests like that big eye in Lord of the Rings. I was born and raised in the high plains of Texas. I have a beautiful wife Kim, an equally beautiful little girl, Audrey, and a great little boy, Bruce.

Thursday, September 30, 2004

SPAM (Scripture's Powerful Ageless Messages): A Servant Seeking Redemtion

SPAM LIGHTING THE WAY: A SERVANT SEEKING REDEMPTION

In perhaps the most personal look into Paul's life, the epistle of Philemon reveals a very real scenario in which Paul intercedes for a converted servant.

The servant, Onesimus, had somehow wronged his master, Philemon. Onesimus found Paul in prison in Rome. Paul led him to Christ and redemption, and to mend all ends, decides to send Onesimus back to Philemon to once again serve him. This epistle, though very short in nature, exemplifies numerous traits in which we should approach one another, especially in times where wrongs may have been done.

First, Paul approaches Philemon, a fellow "labourer" or believer in Christ, with thanks and praise for the work he has done for Jesus.

Phm 1:4-5 MKJV
(4) I thank my God, making mention of you always in my prayers,
(5) hearing of your love and faith which you have toward the Lord Jesus and toward all the saints,

Paul then clarified that he does not approach Philemon in a spirit of right vs wrong but through love for Onesimus.

Phm 1:8-9 MKJV
(8) Therefore, having much boldness in Christ to enjoin you to do the fitting thing;
(9) rather through love I entreat, being such a one as Paul the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ.

Paul then describes leading Onesimus to Jesus, enjoying receiving ministry from him. But knows he must send Onesimus back, but not as a servant but as a brother in Christ.

Phm 1:14-16 MKJV
(14) But without your consent I was willing to do nothing, that your good should not be of necessity, but willingly.
(15) For perhaps because of this he was separated from you for an hour, that you should receive him eternally,
(16) not now as a slave, but beyond a slave, a beloved brother, especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.

Paul offers to pay for any wrongs the delinquent servant may have caused. The receiving of Onesimus will refresh Paul's heart in the Lord. And Paul then wrote,

Phm 1:21 MKJV
(21) Trusting to your obedience, I wrote to you, knowing that you will do even beyond what I say.

Philemon is reminded that Paul, through Philemon's prayers, hopes to return and stay with him. Paul then wishes God's grace him.

This scripture exemplifies to us the very deliberate and thoughtful ways we should approach each other. Not every situation requires a "You need to do the right thing" declaration, but an approach filled with love and personal appeals. I was also reminded of how Jesus sits at the right hand of God and intercedes for us. I have to imagine Paul's interceding shares many qualities with that of Jesus.

Rom 8:34 MKJV
(34) Who is he condemning? It is Christ who has died, but rather also who is raised, who is also at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us.

Never forget to praise God for those believers around you, and just as important, let us tell those we are praying for them. Approach our brothers and sisters with love and guidance from God.

In Christ Jesus,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home